Kremlin-backed support for Donald Trump’s candidacy over social media began much earlier than previously known, a new analysis of Twitter data shows.
Russian Twitter accounts posing as Americans began lavishing praise on Mr. Trump and attacking his rivals within weeks after he announced his bid for the presidency in June 2015, according to the analysis by The Wall Street Journal.
- Analysis shows that IRA-backed trolls flooded social media to oppose Romney as a possible secretary of state, following claims that Russia was opposed to him (Wall Street Journal)
- Twitter says Russian-linked bots retweeted @realDonaldTrump 469,537 times and @HillaryClinton 47,846 times in weeks prior to election from Sep. 1 to Nov. 15 (Bloomberg)
- Twitter says Russia-linked accounts spent $1,031.99 on six Brexit-related ads during the regulated campaign period before UK referendum from April to June 2016 (Natasha Lomas/TechCrunch)
- Analysis shows 12 Parkland student Twitter accounts got 8.7x the volume of online conversations than other top Twitter influencers on guns, not including Trump (Geoffrey A. Fowler/Washington Post)
- Twitter to email 677,775 people in the US who followed, retweeted, or liked a tweet from one of Russian government-linked Internet Research Agency accounts (Twitter)
See Full Post : http://www.techmeme.com/171106/p14#a171106p14