Pinterest will begin to roll out a new series of features today, including Lens Your Look, which allows you to add a photo to any text query. With this feature, you can, for example, pair a photo of a favorite jacket with the search term “autumn fashion” to come up with new outfit ideas, or combine the photo of a popular celebrity with search term “date night” to locate pins with similar outfits.
Since launch, the app’s 200 million monthly active users users have amassed more than 100 billion pins, 16 billion of which are related to fashion.
Image Credit: Pinterest
Also announced today are QR codes to enable commerce, responsive visual search to quickly find pins, and the release of a Pinterest browser extension for Firefox.
Changes announced today come roughly two years since Pinterest began to offer visual search.
Since then, a progression of steps have been taken to power Pinterest visual discovery through a combination of computer vision and listening to cues users give through app activity like pinning images.
“Images are the main way we communicate with our pinners, and it’s also sort of the main way pinners communicate with us. Whether you’re shopping or paying or scrolling for something, all that info is teaching us the kinds of things you’re interested in, and we’re using that to help you find stuff that you really love,” Pinterest visual search product lead Jeff Harris told VentureBeat in a phone interview.
Also new to Pinterest are QR codes called pincodes. Pincodes can be scanned by opening the camera with the Pinterest app. Scanning a code can enable sharing of a website link, a conversational bot, a Pinterest board with holiday shopping ideas, and other online content.
“Most retailers, most of their customers are in the real world; they’re in your stores, they’re reading your magazines, so we think about pincodes as a way to just help brands connect the customers that they’ve already got with the content that they’re already making and just give a better customer experience. And as businesses move to be more and more dependent on online, it’s going to be really important to have these easy jumping points you can go from an offline experience and connect to the online experience,” Harris said.
By introducing scan codes to enable commerce, Pinterest
- Pinterest says there are 600M+ monthly visual searches across its products, up 140% YoY; ability to add Lens images to any text search coming to iOS next week (Khari Johnson/VentureBeat)
- Pinterest launches a Facebook Messenger bot to power Pin searches, as well as a chat extension for collaborative visual search inside Messenger (Khari Johnson/VentureBeat)
- Pinterest hires Chuck Rosenberg, Google's computer vision research lead, to be the company's head of computer vision and lead its visual search engineering team (Khari Johnson/VentureBeat)
- Pinterest now lets you archive your boards, rearrange pins and sections, and sort boards, on Android, iOS, and web (Paul Sawers/VentureBeat)
- Google now lets users mute reminder ads, expands ad muting to work across devices and on more partner apps and websites (Jon Krafcik/The Keyword)
See Full Post : http://www.techmeme.com/171114/p17#a171114p17