European Union privacy rules may prompt removal of personal information from Whois lookups.
- ICANN’s proposal to comply with EU’s GDPR by restricting access to Whois information via an accreditation program faces criticism from privacy advocates, EFF (Klint Finley/Wired)
- EU is drafting regulations requiring platforms like Google or Amazon to be more transparent about their search rankings, reasons for demotion and delisting (Julia Fioretti/Reuters)
- European Commission orders Amazon to pay back about €250M in taxes to Luxembourg, saying it had been given “sweetheart” tax advantage since 2003 (Business Insider)
- Proofpoint To Buy Weblife For $60M To Enhance Personal Email Protection Capabilities
- WeWork agrees to acquire Meetup, the New York-based social network that helps organize offline meetings; source says deal is valued at ~$200M (Dan Primack/Axios)